返回列表 发帖

Hangchow University 之江大學



Hangchow University 之江大學
Alternative Names:        Chih-chiang ta-hsüeh, Zhijiang Daxue 之江大學, Hangchow University
Type:        Higher education / University
Location:        Hangchow / Hangzhou
       

Source: Lutz, China and the Christian Colleges, 1971

The Ningpo Boys' Academy, the precursor of Hangchow Christian University, was founded in 1844 and relocated to Hangchow in 1867. It became known as Hangchow Presbyterian Boys' School. In 1897, a new school, Hangchow Presbyterian College was founded. E.L. Mattox of the Hangchow Presbyterian Boys' School was in charge of setting up the curriculum and the laboratory equipment. The college did not have a permanent campus until the 20th century. In 1909, the American Southern Presbyterians joined the Northern Presbyterians in the operation of Hangchow Presbyterian College. In 1911, the institution relocated again and was renamed Hangchow Christian College in 1914. By 1925, student enrollment had reached 148. During the period of the Northern Expedition and the flaring up of Chinese nationalism, there was a half-hearted attempt to take control of Hangchow College in 1927. During the early years of war with Japan during World War Two, Hangchow was one of the many campuses serving as refugee centers. In 1941, Hangchow Christian College fled to Shaowu and held classes in rooms rented from Fukien Christian University. In 1948, having secured recognition of its engineering department which was set up during the war years, met the registration requirements for recognition as a university.
Presidents: Warren H. Stuart served as a president of Hangchow Christian College in in the early part of the 20th century.

The following was compiled by: Peter Tze Ming Ng

Date of Establishment: 1914

Religious Affiliation: Protestant, Denominational

Sponsoring Bodies:

American Presbyterian Mission, North (美北長老會)

List of Presidents:

E.J. Mattox(1914-1916)
Warren H. Stuart (1916-1922)
Robert F. Fitch (1922-1931)
Baen E. Lee 【李培恩Li Pei-en】 (1931-1949)

Short History:

Hangchow University originated from the Ningpo Boy’s Boarding School(崇信義塾)which was founded by an American Presbyterian missionary, Rev. D.B. McCartee in Ningpo in 1845. The school was moved to Hangchow in 1867 and was called: “Hangchow Presbyterian Boy’s School”(育英義塾). Later the school was upgraded to a college level and was renamed as “Hangchow Presbyterian College”(育英書院) in 1897 and “Hangchow Christian College”(the name in Chinese was 之江大學)in 1914. When it was registered with the Chinese government in 1931, the college was recognized as a “Wenli Xueyuan”(文理學院), since there were only the Arts and Sciences faculties in the college. The name “Hangchow Univeristy”(之,江大學) was only formally adopted in 1948.

Existing Archives:

1. Zhejiang Provincial Archives
2. Zhejiang Provincial Library
3. United Board Archives at Yale University Divinity School Library Special Collections
Historical Foundation of the Presbyterian and Reformed Churches, Montreal, North Carolina

Also consult Archie Crouch, Christianity in China: A Scholars’ Guide to Resources in the Libraries and Archives of The United States. N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe, 1989.
吳梓明、梁元生主編:《中國教會大學文獻目錄》,第1-5輯, 香港:香港中文大學崇基學院宗教與中國社會研究中心出版,1996-1998).

Other Resources: 1. Day, Clarence Burton. Hangchow University. Now York: United Board for Christian Colleges in China, 1956.
2. 劉家峰譯:《之江大學》。珠海:珠海出版社,1999。
3. 上海校友會編:《之江大學校友通訊錄》。上海:上海校友會,1990。
4. 杭州大學校史編寫組:《杭州大學校史,1897-1988》。杭州:杭州大學出版社﹐1989。
5. 〈上海特別市宣傳部長陳德徵收回之江大學之談話〉。《申報》,1927年6月22 日。
6. 〈之江大學籌備立案〉。《申報》,1927年6月24日。
7. 〈浙教育廳允許庂江大學暫時立案〉。《申報》,1927年7月29日。
8. 〈屠廣鈞建議收回之江大學〉。《申報》,1927年6月12日。
9.. 張文昌:〈之江大學〉。《浙江文史資料選輯》,第29輯(1985),頁123-130。
10. 曾鉅生:〈之江大學在杭州的歷史文獻簡史〉。吳梓明編:《中國教會大學歷史文獻研討會論文集》,頁217-231。香港:中文大學出版社,1995。
11. 曾鉅生、徐輝:〈之江大學檔案片斷〉。吳梓明編:《中國教會大學歷史文獻研討會論文集》,頁233-249。香港:中文大學出版社,1995。
http://ricci.rt.usfca.edu/institution/view.aspx?institutionID=88
1999年离开西溪后,就不停的在干活……

返回列表